Investments in Forest Industry Transformation
- Program description
- Program eligibility
- Program guides and supporting material
- Frequently asked questions
The Investments in Forest Industry Transformation (IFIT) program aims to support Canada’s forest sector in becoming more economically competitive and environmentally sustainable through targeted investments in innovative technologies. Investments in Forest Industry Transformation will provide $100 million over four years for projects that implement new technologies leading to non-traditional high-value forest products and renewable energies.
Industry and governments agree that the way forward for Canada’s forest sector is through a combination of traditional and innovative forest products. By building on the success of previous federal investments in research and development, IFIT will ensure that promising breakthrough technologies in the forest sector continue to evolve towards full commercial viability.
The IFIT program’s second and final Call for Proposals, which closed on September 28th, 2011 received a total of 57 applications representing $1.2 billion in project proposals where the requested IFIT contributions amount to almost $300M. Overall, the number of applications, funding requests, geographical distribution and proposed technology areas were consistent with the strong response obtained through the program’s first call for proposals.
The response to the second Call for Proposals demonstrates, once again, significant appetite within the Canadian forestry sector for the implementation of highly innovative technologies in the areas of bio-energy, bio-chemicals, and new solid wood products.
For a more detailed analysis on characteristics of the projects IFIT received please refer to the attached presentation.
Moving forward, we expect the IFIT program will be in a position to facilitate the implementation of many projects emerging from our second Call for Proposals, which will ultimately help to diversify the sector’s product mix and provide solid support for its ongoing transformation.
- Harper government invests in transformation of Canada’s forest sector [April 4, 2013]
- Investments in Forest Industry Transformation Program [April 4, 2013]
- Harper Government highlights support for jobs, innovation and energy efficiency during National Forest Week [September 24, 2012]
- Harper Government secures jobs through forest sector innovation and renewal [October 13, 2011]
- Harper Government invests in Transformation of Canada’s Forest Industry [July 14, 2011]
- Government of Canada launches call for proposals for Forest Industry Transformation Funding [July 6, 2011]
For any additional details or questions, please email the IFIT Program.