Canadian Forest Service employee directory
Research Scientist- Forest Pathology & Pest Management
Pacific Forestry Centre
506 Burnside Road West
Victoria, British Columbia, V8Z 1M5
Tel.: (250) 298-2358
- Conducts research on biology, epidemiology & development of mitigation tools for phytosanitary risk analysis and management of Sudden Oak Death (SOD) disease caused by Phytophthora ramorum
- Sudden Oak Death (SOD) Genomics- development of PCR-DNA based diagnostic markers for Phytophthora ramorum & other Phytophthora spp.and molecular elucidation of Phytophthora ramorum pathogenicity via whole-genome sequencing “next generation sequencing” using Illumina technology
- Development of PCR-DNA based molecular diagnostic markers for identification & differentiation of Heterobasidion spp. complex, including the North American species (H. irregulare & H. occidentale), European species (H. parviporum, H. abietinum, & H. annosum sensu stricto) & Asian species for certification of wood products and green logs for phytosanitary and international trade purposes.
- Detection and molecular characterization of dsRNA “Mycoviruses” genetic elements in Heterobasidion species complex and their potential use as epidemiological markers & elucidation of their biological significance as biocontrol agents for management of Heterobasidion root & butt rot pathogen
- Research interests in development & production of biological control agents for management of major invasive alien & indigenous forest pathogens
- CFS Genomics – Seeing the forest through the genes
- Phytophthora ramorum, the canker fungus-like organism causing "sudden oak death"
- Forest Invasive Alien species
- B.Sc. Honours (Forestry), 1972, University of Mosul, Nineveh, Mesopotamia (Iraq);
- M.Sc. (Forest Pathology and Biotechnology), 1980, North Carolina State University at Raleigh;
- Ph.D. (Forest Pathology and Biotechnology), 1988, University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, USA.
- Adjunct Professor – University of British Columbia
- Adjunct Professor – Thompson Rivers University
- Coordinator of the IUFRO Working Group – 7.02.11 – Parasitic Flowering Plants of Forest Trees.
- Associate Editor, Agricultutre, Forestry and Fisheries
- Associate Editor, BOTANY
- Associate Editor, ISRN Forestry Journal
- Associate Editor, Mycosphere Online - Journal of Fungal Biology