Research Scientist- Forest Pathology & Pest Management
Pacific Forestry Centre
506 Burnside Road West
Victoria, British Columbia, V8Z 1M5
Tel.: (250) 298-2358
- Conducts research on biology, epidemiology & development of mitigation tools for phytosanitary risk analysis and management of Sudden Oak Death (SOD) disease caused by Phytophthora ramorum
- Sudden Oak Death (SOD) Genomics- development of PCR-DNA based diagnostic markers for Phytophthora ramorum & other Phytophthora spp.and molecular elucidation of Phytophthora ramorum pathogenicity via whole-genome sequencing “next generation sequencing” using Illumina technology
- Pathogenomics of Heterobasidion: Development of molecular diagnostic assays for detection and identification of North American and Eurasian Heterobasidion species complex for certification of Canadian wood products and disease management in conifer forests
- Detection and molecular characterization of dsRNA “Mycoviruses” genetic elements in Heterobasidion species complex and their potential use as epidemiological markers & elucidation of their biological significance as biocontrol agents for management of Heterobasidion root & butt rot pathogen
- Research interests in development & production of biological control agents for management of major invasive alien & indigenous forest pathogens
- CFS Genomics – Seeing the forest through the genes
- Phytophthora ramorum, the canker fungus-like organism causing "sudden oak death"
- Forest pest management
- Annosus root rot and butt rot diseases of conifers in Canada (Heterobasidion irregulare and H. occidentale)
- B.Sc. Honours (Forestry), 1972, University of Mosul, Nineveh, Mesopotamia (Iraq);
- M.Sc. (Forest Pathology and Biotechnology), 1980, North Carolina State University at Raleigh;
- Ph.D. (Forest Pathology and Biotechnology), 1988, University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, USA.
- Adjunct Professor – Thompson Rivers University
- Deputy Coordinator of the IUFRO Working Group – 7.02.11 – Parasitic Flowering Plants of Forest Trees.
- Associate Editor, Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection
- Associate Editor, BOTANY
- Associate Editor, Tropical Plant Pathology
- Associate Editor, PLOS ONE
- Date modified: