Canadian Forest Service Publications

A national portrait of community forestry on public land in Canada. 2006. Teitelbaum, S.; Beckley, T.M.; Nadeau, S. The Forestry Chronicle 82: 416-428.

Year: 2006

Issued by: Atlantic Forestry Centre

Catalog ID: 26257

Language: English

CFS Availability: Order paper copy (free)

Mark record

Abstract

Despite the interest community forestry generates, there is little published literature on the array of initiatives currently taking place across Canada. This paper presents the results of a nationwide survey of community forestry initiatives on public land. The survey focused on basic characteristics such as objectives, organizational structures, and tenure types. The research revealed that there are over one hundred community forest initiatives currently taking place on public land, mainly in Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia. Most of them are run through local government organizations. Approximately 60% operate on Crown land, while the remaining 40% operate on land owned fee simple by local governments. The median landbase is 4200 ha. The average age of community forests is 10 years.