Canadian Forest Service employee directory
Research Scientist - Soil Ecology
Pacific Forestry Centre
506 Burnside Road West
Victoria, British Columbia, V8Z 1M5
Tel.: (250) 298-2319
- Studies the role of soil biota in detrital carbon fluxes and decomposition processes
- Is a leader of the Canadian Intersite Decomposition Experiment (CIDET), a study that examines long-term litter and wood decay rates at 21 forested sites across Canada
- Leads the Coastal Forest Chronosequence Experiment, a study examining changes in ecosystem structure, processes and diversity in old-growth and managed forests of coastal BC
- Co-investigator in the Canadian Carbon Plan/Fluxnet Canada Research Network studying the effects of disturbance on stand level C fluxes, stocks, and component fluxes at seven stations across Canada. Leads studies on historic C budgets, C stock distribution, litterfall, and root production at the coastal BC station, C stocks and budgets at the interior BC station and a cross-station decomposition experiment.
- Participant in the British Columbia Ectomycorrhizal Research Network. Leads studies on ectomycorrhizal fungal diversity under variable retention forestry and development of on-line taxonomic tools for ectomycorrhizal fungi, including Concise Descriptions of North American Ectomycorrhizae, Ectomycorrhizae Descriptions Database, Photoprofiles of Ectomycorrhizae, and Matchmaker: Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest, and
- B.Sc. (Biology), 1978, University of Lethbridge; M.Sc. (Zoology), 1981; and Ph.D. (Soil Ecology), 1984, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Adjunct Professor at the University of Victoria, with the Centre for Forest Biology.
- Chairs the Environmental Science Advisory Committee for the Department of National Defence – CFB Esquimalt.